Saturday, June 18, 2016

Why we do Vintage Artistic Photographs!

Last weekend, we had the pleasure of shooting Monica for her 50th birthday.  When she asked why we chose the style of photography we did, it sparked a very passionate conversation for Chad and I about allowing women to see what we do through our lenses...confidence, beauty, glamour and grace.  I felt it was only an appropriate topic for me to share in this week's blog.

Feeling beautiful and confident in photographs is a different experience for every woman.  For me, I've never truly enjoyed getting my picture taken.  In fact, I can count on one hand how many times I absolutely loved a photograph taken of myself.  My journey to finding confidence is one I often never share.  Let's face it, I grew up in the 80's and 90's where perms, LARGE pink rimmed glasses, big bangs and fluorescent colors reigned supreme.  I always wore baggie and over-sized clothes to hide my figure.  Throughout my years in University, I was told I was lazy and fat which spiraled into many years of me working out obsessively, sadly to a point where I collapsed due to poor nutrition and over exertion.  I share this small piece of my story because it is from these struggles in my past why I am so passionate about making everyone we photograph find their beauty.

When we started out with our Film Noir photography, Chad and I tested out the concept on ourselves first.  I ordered myself a vintage dress, I watched countless hours of vintage make-up and hair tutorials on YouTube and then we practiced.  In our very own living room, we transformed our space into a Old Hollywood scene.  And the result?  I will admit, when we reviewed our "practice run" of on the computer, I was astonished at my own transformation!  In that one instance, I experienced a moment of awe and appreciation of myself.  I started to cry because I never felt as beautiful and confident as I did in that moment.  I knew that if I could feel this way about my own Film Noir test shot, more women out there needed to feel the same!  I love the shot Chad took of me.  It is a shot I will forever treasure.

Here is my transformation from the everyday to Old Hollywood Glam!

Dre's Transformation to Old Hollywood

When we set out on our journey of re-creating the vintage Pin-Up artistry of legends such as Gil Elvgren and Alberto Vargas or Old Hollywood Film Noir photography like George Hurrell, we really wanted to highlight the "transformation" of women before their eyes.  Our photography session offers our clients a chance to be pampered for a few hours.  Sondra transforms your hair and make-up into a vintage doll and we take every detail into account preparing for the photo shoot.  Together, we select the outfits that make you feel comfortable and highlight your best features and complement them with beautiful vintage accessories.  We spend time coaching you on the poses and why we direct you the way we do in the shoot.  Who wouldn't feel like a movie star when that is all finished?

Our Pin-Up Photography is a great opportunity for women who may not feel comfortable wearing lingerie to give their special someone a different kind of playful and sexy photograph.  Women wear clothing that accentuate their curves with a peak or tease of what is yet to come!  The innocent expression and pose draws you in.

Pin Up Peak Shot


Our Film Noir Photography really highlights the glamour, confidence and grace of a woman.  We were humbled by the feedback one of our clients gave us when she said, "I really needed that, it was a boost to my self esteem and I never felt more beautiful."  Her shots all turned out amazing!  She really looked like a movie star from the 1950s!

Film Noir Shot

Ladies, gentlemen, couples and friends, this is what we want to offer to you!  A transformation that leaves you speechless, brings tears to your eyes and allows you to find your inner and outer beauty.

So to answer Monica's question as to why we chose this style, we chose it because it means something to us.  We chose it because we get goosebumps every time we shoot a client and see the results of the vintage makeover.  We chose it because we are humbled by the opportunity to work with such beautiful people willing to share themselves with us for an hour in studio.  We hope that we make a difference in how our clients feel and allows them to find find confidence in themselves. Whether you want to give your photograph to that someone special in your life or keep it as a memento for yourself, we will celebrate you and give you an experience we hope you will never forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment